16oz self raising flour
4oz butter, cold
2oz golden caster sugar
4floz full fat milk
2 handfuls of sultanas
1 egg for glazing, slightly beaten
a little granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Tip the flour into a mixing bowl with the salt and butter. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Mix together the buttermilk and full fat milk.
- Pour in most of the milk into the centre of the flour mixture. Not all of it because it may make it too wet.
- Using a round bladed knife gently work the mixture together until it forms a soft dough. If it is too dry you can always add in more milk but be very careful a little can make it too wet. If it is too wet add in another handful of flour and work it in.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and on a lightly floured surface knead 3-4 times to remove any cracks.
- Pat the dough gently with your hands to the thickness of no less than 2,5cm.
- Cut with a floured cutter and place on a baking tray.
- Brush with the egg and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with butter and jam to kids with wiggly teeth and watch a lovely jammie smile appear on their faces.