Wednesday 8 May 2013

Yo-Yo Weekend

Well what a bank holiday weekend is was.  We were certainly kept busy and I'm only really recovering from it now.
It began with me smashing a tooth on a popcorn kernel resulting in emergency dental work.  Only when I arrived at the dentist did I discover that it was not one but two teeth that needed to be rebuilt!!  Oh what a wally am I??

There was a shopping trip to Galway city with the great company of my sister in law.  We bought some lovely fabric and a fantastic skirt sewing pattern and she has agreed to teach me some of her dressmaking tricks.  A beautiful lunch followed, all washed down with a lot of laughter and good hearted natter.  Unfortunately the main reason for the trip was to get my steroid injections.....YUK!

I had a couple of sleepless nights but the upside of that was that i was up for the sunrise and the dawn chorus.  This has to be my most favourite time of the day.  The magic of listening to the birds very slowly waking up, one by one.  As the sun rises, the silence is broken by one little faint birdsong soon multiplies to two and before you know it they are all singing their most beautiful songs with passion.  To me it sounds like they are all saying good morning to each other.


These solitary times at dawn means that I notice things that I may not necessarily notice.  Even though I was in a lot of pain after the horrible injections, I couldn't help but smile at the fresh growth that I was seeing all around me.  Look at these nettles.  Aren't they gorgeous.  The yellow to lime to green together with the shape of the leaves is so inspiring.  I think that it looks like a drop of bleach was tipped onto the centre of each cluster of leaves.


I must be the only person who loves dandelions.  The field behind our house is full of them and they look fantastic.  Actually I have never seen so many dandelions growing in every available space.  Covering all of the bog and the farmlands too.  I love their simplicity and their vibrancy.  Maybe because they are like me,  simple, cheerful but very annoying!!!!




After resting on Saturday, a gentle walk in the forest was what I needed.  And I was really delighted to see it full of life.  The bluebells were open and resembling a large purple carpet on the forest floor.  The ferns still coiled tightly while gathering the strength to open.  I have researched the top flower but have failed to find out what it is.  Would anybody be able to help me with that one?  I'd really love to know.


And Monday was by far the best of all the days.  The sun shone brightly and warmed the day.  We decided to take a visit to Belvedere House and Gardens.  They had a fun fair on for the long weekend and me being the big child that I am, just couldn't resist.  I was probably more excited about going than the kids were!!  After a couple of hours being thrown up and down, round and round on rides, we picked up our picnic and headed to the lakeside for a relaxing lunch.  The day was not yet finished though.  We decided to take a walk along the Narnia trail through the forest and on it's entrance we were greeted by the Oak King.  Isn't he just magnificent?


The trail was beautiful with lots of little statues hidden between the trees for the kids to seek out.


Somehow this guy looks very constipated to me, like he's sitting on the loo concentrating very hard on the matter in hand!!


And last but not least, meet Henry.  We spotted him in the gift shop on the way out and the Hubby thought that he looked very sad, so we decided to buy him and give him a home on our mantelpiece.   I really love him.  He's so well made and is one of my favourite colours too.  He suits the room perfectly.

Anyway I'm off for now.  my studio is coming tonight and hopefully I'll have something about that soon.  Fingers crossed!!
Rosie xx

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely weekend. (Except for the steroids. Is that what kept you awake?) I tend to be a late sleeper so it's rare that I hear that dawn chorus of birds - but you've described it so perfectly.

    Your nettle looks a little more broad-leaved than ours. I wonder if that mystery blossom is purple toadflax?

    Henry is very handsome indeed. Looking forward to seeing the skirt you make....

    P.S. I like dandelions too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Oak King and I love Dandelions too!
    I was treated to the dawn chorus this morning as I went out very early to top up the bird feeders. It felt as though the birds and I were the only creatures awake ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dawn too, Little Beas the same so I'm not always on my own listening to the birds! Hope you are now rested :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rosie

    Thank you so much for sharing your Bank Holiday with us. The pictures of the flowerrs are stunning especially the dandelions. Like you I love my early mornings listening to the birds and seagulls singing. Good luck with the skirt.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love the Narnia trail in the woods & I like that you've found beauty in nettles, I've never looked at them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even I love early mornings but unfortunately we live in the part of city which is surrounded only by buildings and I am not lucky enough to enjoy flowers blooming around me but at least I can see the birds and listen to them.

    ReplyDelete

I adore to see a comment popping up. If you have the time, please do leave a few words. I try my best to reply to all the comments that I get.
Rosie xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.