2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Red Roasted Peppers from Oil
3 -4 Sundried Tomatoes
1 Good Glug of Ruby Port
2 Tins of Tomatoes
1 Tbl Fresh Oregano chopped finely
Salt and Pepper
- Brown the meatballs well in a frying pan.
- I like to use an electric mini chopper for this as it means that if there are kids visiting, then they won't know that there are any yucky veggies in it!
- Put the onion and garlic in the mini chopper and mince finely.
- Put the onion and garlic mixture into a cold pot with some olive oil and turn onto a medium low heat. having the oil cold gives me the time to potter and prepare some of the other ingredients without me having to constantly watch the pot.
- Sprinkle a good pinch of coarse sea salt over the onions to stop them from browning. Careful not to forget to take this into account when seasoning the sauce later on.
- Put the sun-dried tomatoes and roasted peppers into the mini chopper and puree. Add to the softened onion mixture.
- Pour in the glug of port and reduce down to remove the alcohol.
- Add the tins of tomatoes to the pot along with the browned meatballs.
- Season well with pepper and only a tiny bit of extra salt if necessary, remembering that salt was already added to the onions.
- Only partially cover the pot with the lid and allow to gently simmer until the meatballs are cooked and the sauce has reduced down and the flavour has become more concentrated.