Wednesday 28 November 2012

Things That I've Learned From My Kids




The other morning when the kids and I were staying in my mothers house, my son and Mum were sitting in the kitchen while I was watching some kids telly in the next room....  It just happened to be on. Honest!  They could hear me laughing uncontrollably at the program that was on.  My mother, giggling, said, "I really don't know who is the biggest kid in this family?  Your mother is just a great big baby".  My son looked at her smiling and said, "but Nanny that's what I love most about her.  She is just like us".
This absolutely melted my heart when my Mum told me later and it got me thinking a lot about how my kids have changed my life completely. " Well doh obviously!", I hear you say.  Well no not really.
My own childhood was marred by bullying at a young age and this left it very difficult for me to form friendships or even talk to people at times.  But when I had my own kids it felt like I had a chance to relive my childhood.  Not through them but with them as my best friends.  Like the ones that I always wished I had growing up.
My kids have taught me how to laugh and by that I mean real laughing.  The type that comes from right down in the pit of your stomach and leaves you breathless and with a pain in your side.
They have shown how to be fearless.  They don't worry about what other people think of them.  They just enjoy being who they are and living in the moment.  I realise now that I've wasted far too much of my life caring about others opinion of me.  So now I've been known to skip happily down the main street in town or sing (very badly I must admit) at the top of my voice while pushing the trolly around the supermarket.  Singing songs that we have changed the words of so that they make us laugh.  Even though Patrick’s favourite songs all involve poo and bottoms!
I found that the kids really bring out my creative side. I love sitting on the floor with them building things out of Lego or play dough.  And it is amazing how many really great things that can be made from these if you take the time to do it.  The kids may say to me that maybe I should try making a certain design out of material and they may even tweak it just a little so that I can see what they mean.  For me hearing “Mammy will you knit me this” or “Mammy will you sew that for me”.  Is music to my ears because they often come up with ideas that I've never even thought of.  I may love to feed their imagination but they also feed mine.
Patrick and Lucy have shown me how kind and understanding people can be.  Through my worst days they make me laugh or just make a bed out of blankets for me on the sofa.
I love to sit and watch cartoons with them when I can or go for an adventure in the forest with them.  Their words paint images to help me to see the world through their eyes.  And I love it!  My Mum might think I’m a big baby but I’m one happy big baby.

Sorry about the soppy post today but this has been on my mind the last few days.  AND tomorrow I'm off to Germany for a week.  So I know I'm going to miss them lots.  
Hopefully I'll get some nice piccies for you at the Christmas markets in Salzburg and Munich.

Rosie xx
PS I hope that this makes a bit of sense and not like some mad ramblings.  What have your kids taught you?

5 comments:

  1. Would love to hear you singing at the top of your lungs about poo and bottoms in the supermarket aisles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our children teaches us more than we teach them I think! Glad you are laughing again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post, I sing loudly and laugh a lot with my son too......and feel so proud when he says I am a very funny mummy!
    Thanks for sharing
    Daisy xx
    ps enjoy germany...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When mine were little I used to build them amazing things out of Duplo and Lego after they had gone to bed just to see their faces light up when they found them the next morning. I think I'm still in touch with my inner child many years on ... so glad you've found yours :)

    Have a good trip x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love childhood innocence, and their ability to do what ever they like, without worrying about someone laughing at them or thinking they look silly.
    Have a lovely trip to Germany.
    xox

    ReplyDelete

I adore to see a comment popping up. If you have the time, please do leave a few words. I try my best to reply to all the comments that I get.
Rosie xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.