700g Stewing Steak
2 Large Onions
2tbs Balsamic Vinegar
1 Bouquet Garni
2pt Beef Stock
2tbs Flour or Cornflour to thicken
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160/170C.
- Brown the stewing steak on a high heat in a large casserole pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add onions and carrots and fry for 5mins until softened and browned slightly.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until the sharp smell has gone from the vinegar.
- Increase the heat slightly and pour the stock into the pot and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Mix the flour with a little water to a paste and add to the pot. Do not add to much flour because the stew will reduce down in the oven.
- Take a piece of greaseproof paper that would be big enough to cover the top of the pot and wet it until it is soft and flexible. Cover the stew with this and then put the lid on top. This will reduce the cooking time by half and intensify the flavour.
- Check the stew regularly and when the meat is tender remove the pot from the oven. Reduce the stew a little more if desired on the cooker top.
- Season to taste and serve with steamed or mashed potatoes.